Renovation of Kasteel Radboud

Oct. 11, 2018

Monumentenbezit is working on the renovation of Kasteel Radboud. Large-scale restoration work took place in the 1960s, especially in the cellars. After the 1960s, only much-needed maintenance was carried out on the castle.

A comprehensive renovation of the castle's interior was therefore in order. This was started in early 2018, along with a change in the use of various rooms in the monument.  

The renovation and restoration of Kasteel Radboud in 2018 focused on the castle's outdated installations, some of which still dated back to the 1960s. The heating system was updated, the electrical system was completely renewed and a modern fire alarm system was installed. The toilet groups and the kitchen for the castle café were also renewed. In addition, the former manager's house in the castle was converted into a museum exhibition space and part of the slate covering of the roof was replaced.



Restoration and renovation


Construction company Van den Berg, Painting company Drielinden, ComSafe BV




Watch a video about Kasteel Radboud

Ready for guests again
After the renovation, the castle is again ready to receive guests. For example, the basement has been converted into a catering space for the castle café.
For a cup of coffee and apple pie, or a good lunch, everyone is welcome here. The rest of the castle hosts permanent and changing exhibitions throughout the year.

History of Kasteel Radboud
This castle was founded around 1288 by Count Floris V of Holland as a coercive castle to keep the newly subdued West Frisians in check. When city walls were built at the end of the 16th century, the complex lost its function. At the beginning of the 17th century, the citizens demolished part of the castle, after which it fell into disrepair. In the 19th century, several parts of the castle were demolished. Only two residential wings and a square and round tower remained intact. Finally, in 1889 it was decided to transfer the remains to the state, which meant the salvation of the castle. In 1890, architect Jacobus van Lockhorst began restoration of the remains and they were made suitable as a district court.

Want to know more about Kasteel Radboud? Check out the monuments page here.

Also read about our other projects