Schotse Huizen Veere

These two historic houses are a reminder of the centuries of trade relations between Veere and Scotland. The left house is called "The Lammeken" and the right house is known as "The Struys. Both houses were built in the late Gothic style. That trade relationship with Scotland can still be seen when you look closely at the facade. Today, Museum Veere is located in these monuments.



Year built


Building Style

Late Gothic

Original functions


Special feature

Historic homes of Scottish traders

Owned by Monumentenbezit

Since 2016

Wheelchair accessible


Visitor information

The two historic houses are the home of Museum Veere, which includes the historic Town Hall on the Market Square. The museum displays fine art, regional costume and interior related to the history of the city of Veere.

Visiting address:

Kaai 25 and 27, 4351 AA Veere

On the quay in Veere are two late Gothic houses (Nos. 25 and 27), the so-called "Schotse Huizen. The houses recall the centuries-long trade relations between Veere and Scotland. Both houses were built for Scottish wool merchants.

The houses consist of two storeys, a basement and an attic and feature a stone facade. Veere formed an important maritime base both economically and in terms of defense as early as the 15th century. Until 1558, Veere housed the first admiralty.

Trade relations with Scotland were strengthened by the marriage of Wolfert VI van Borselen (c. 1430-1486), lord of Veere, to the Scottish princess Mary Stuart, daughter of King James I of Scotland. They married in 1444 in the Grote Kerk Veere. From then on, numerous Scottish traders settled in Veere. The Scots were given many rights in Veere; for example, they had their own laws and were allowed to exercise their own jurisdiction.

The Zeeland town thus grew to become the stacking place for merchandise from Scotland. The goods were unloaded, stored and traded in Veere. The town obtained a trade monopoly on some Scottish goods, such as Scottish wool.

The house on the left, "The Lammeken," dates from 1539. It was built by order of Joos Olivers, a merchant of Scottish origin. The building owes its name to the lamb on the gable stone, which obviously refers to the wool trade. Het Lammeken' has a stepped gable with pinnacles. These are tapered, slender, tower-like crowns.

On the facade are a number of references to the past with Scotland. For example, the wall anchors are shaped like thistle flowers. The thistle flower also appears in the coat of arms of Scotland. There is also a facade stone with a lamb on it, referring to Scottish wool.

The house is of great significance in the history of monuments in the Netherlands. Victor de Stuers, State Advisor for the Monuments of History and Art, happened to pass the house in 1881 and noted that it would be demolished. He decided to buy the property and put down eight hundred guilders for it. In 1907, De Stuers donated his acquisition to the State. However, he gave the condition that it would be preserved as a monument and returned to its original state.

The property came into the hands of Monumentenbezit in 2016.

The house on the right, "The Struys," is first mentioned in 1549. It was then occupied by the Scotsman Edward Paterson. Because of its similar stylistic features, it is believed that 'De Struys' was built at the same time as 'Het Lammeken'. The facade was built between 1539 and 1561.

The front facade of "De Struys" was once the mirror image of "Het Lammeken," but the house lost its stepped gable during a remodel in 1824. The lower facade also received a new window arrangement at that time. In 1764, the house became the property of the city of Veere. Then it was used as an inn, where Scots could drink beer without having to pay excise duty.

'The Struys' was purchased in 1896 by an English diamond dealer and art collector Albert L. Ochs. The Englishman and his daughter Alma used the house as a vacation home. They hosted many artists and organized exhibitions. Alma bequeathed "De Struys" along with her collection of Zeeland regional costumes to the state in 1947 on the condition that the house, along with "Het Lammeken," be given a museum function. Since 1950, these houses and Veere Town Hall have housed the Museum Veere.

The property came into the hands of Monumentenbezit in 2016.

Go to the top